Can you believe that summer is winding down and school is about to start?! I have no idea where this year has gone! A frequent concern I hear from parents is how to get their children to eat healthy when they are 1) picky and 2) pressed for time. I have nieces and nephews of my own…all in different grades, attending different schools, and with different extra-curricular schedules. Needless to say, my sister-in-law has it tough when it comes to planning and making nutritious bites (that don’t look or taste too healthy!) for all of the kids with such crazy schedules.
When Back to Nature contacted me about creating a recipe for back-to-school, I jumped at the opportunity to show how easy it can be to make something healthy and tasty for kids! For those of you that aren’t familiar with the brand, Back to Nature is an awesome company that makes amazing snacks that are made with simple, delicious, wholesome ingredients…you won’t be seeing any high fructose corn syrup here!
I wanted to create something that was full of nutrients, but disguised by familiar and well-liked flavors amongst many kids…chocolate and graham cracker. You may have seen this chocolate recipe on my blog before…it is such a hit that I wanted to amp it up a little and make it even tastier and more kid-friendly. This new version of it takes it to a whole new level and reminds me of s’mores!
This recipe includes healthy items such as: spinach (you would NEVER know!), chia seeds (amazing for fiber, protein, and healthy fats to keep the brain going all day long), and raw cacao (a nutrient powerhouse that is great for energy and the immune system). You will notice that it is sweetened with dates, which are far superior to regular sugar and contain many health benefits. The best part? Back to Nature’s Honey Graham Sticks! Unlike other graham cracker products on the market, these contain less than 10 ingredients made from the great stuff nature gives us! These sticks give an extra crunch and flavor to the recipe, which will totally win any kid over.
Simply make this recipe at night, put it in the refrigerator, and grab it on the go the next morning. You can even make a big batch ahead of time to eat throughout the week! It is really that simple. No excuses!
- 2 ½ c almond milk (or any unsweetened plant-based milk)
- ¼ c organic spinach
- ½ c chia seeds
- ¼ c raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- BIG handful of Back to Nature honey graham sticks, crushed into small pieces
- Pour the almond milk and spinach into a blender. Blend until combined.
- Place the chia seeds into the blender with the almond milk mixture and stir with a spoon. Let sit while compiling the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the honey graham sticks) into the blender and blend until fully combined. The chia seeds should no longer be whole.
- In several (2-4 depending on the size) jars or airtight containers, layer the pudding mixture and the honey graham crumbles: pour half of the pudding mixture. Next, top each with half of the honey graham crumble. After, with the rest of the pudding mixture. Lastly top with the rest of the honey graham crumble.
- Store in the refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours with the lid on tight.
Make sure you go to Back to Nature’s Facebook page to enter the Back to School Snack Recipe Contest to win a prize!
Disclaimer: Back to Nature kindly sent me this product free of charge, but all opinions are my own.